Friday, February 5, 2010

Artichokes Are Back

One of the things I love about blogging about my garden is that it is an excellent way to keep records. In fact I have realized it is about the only way I am going to keep records despite my best intentions. For instance, I was going to write about how big and bushy my artichoke plants are this month when I noticed a post I did last February about them actually blooming that time of year. I guess I should be watching for blooms any time now. I certainly hope they are better on this plant than they were last year. They were a big disappointment as far as meat and taste go. I am hoping it is because it was their first year, although a friend mentioned that the 'Green Globes' never do well for her. Regardless of the quality of crop, I still love the huge bluish green foliage in the garden this time of year.

5 comments:

Noel Morata said...

aloha, those are healthy looking plants...well if they don't taste good the second time, at least if you leave them to bloom they make beautiful cuttings too!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheila, For me, to see Cardoons in so much leaf at this time of year is amazing. Yours certainly are looking very healthy to my eyes.

I have in the past grown them in large clay pots for ornament on a terrace where I have allowed them to flower.

Unknown said...

They're gorgeous...can't grow them, but I can look longingly at yours, Sheila!

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

You're right! If I have ever forgotten when I fertilized last or what I planted where... the blog helps.

Stone Art's Blog said...

I love artichokes, such a beautiful plant, with such a yummy flower