Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Beauty of Structure

It is easy to be discouraged when you are a gardener at this time of year. Although those pictures of gardens from back east, covered in snow are beautiful, I am just glad that it is a bit warmer here, but it still is cold and damp outside. There is very little color in the garden, except for all the beautiful shades of green. I am just thankful that the foundation plants have all become established so that when most of the beautiful roses, iris and flowering perennials are resting, the garden still looks like a nice place to spend time - thanks to good structure. The trees are getting quite large, more like trees than overgrown shrubs, and there is a lot of planting to do this spring to accommodate the growing shade, but I am fine with that. I am actually more interested in the ambiance of my garden than any actual plant. A romantic, shady, aromatic space will always make me happy. I am off to the nursery today, but my focus is on replacing some tired houseplants that are looking a bit neglected after many years in the house. With all the holiday decorations put away, I am ready for a little bit of spring in the house, even though it is still very much winter outside!

2 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, your gardens are beautiful!

Sheila said...

Thank you Lorraine! You are very kind!