Friday, May 23, 2014

Lovely and Easy Going

I have to hand it to the daylilies (Hemerocallis) in the gardens here, they hold up to almost any kind of weather without showing any signs of stress. Last week we had temperatures in the 90's with dry winds for days on end. This week it is cool and cloudy and they just keep blooming as if they are impervious to any weather at all. They grow in the sun, in filtered shade and all combinations in between. Some of them go entirely dormant in the winter and disappear all together but always seem to come back in the spring. Others just send up a bloom  now and then all year round. They may not be as sexy as the roses or iris or as romantic as wisteria or clematis, but they are just as endearing as a flower can be in their own consistent, easy going way. I occasionally buy them from the local nurseries, but I usually order them from Oakes Daylilies where they have a wonderful selection and are very helpful with assisting me in choosing ones that will thrive in our zone. They do multiply but don't need to be divided very often to keep blooming. Mine thrive on neglect I must admit and we all are quite happy with the arrangement.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Daylilies are one of my favorite flowers as well. I have them both in the garden beds and in pots. It is a nice one you are showing.
Have a nice day