Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Gardening is Hard

The other day I ran into an acquaintance who asked me if I was still gardening. I was rather caught off guard by her question. I have never thought that I would someday not garden. I'm not saying that it is like eating or breathing, I'm sure that I would still exist if I did not garden, but if given the choice to do it or not, I would always choose to do it, at least in some form or another. My friend had said that she had quit gardening because it was just too hard and time consuming and she had moved to a condo where she didn't have to worry about the yard. Before that she had a beautiful garden that was in fact - perfect. It had actually won awards. The first time I saw it she was standing in the front yard with a bottle of spray pesticide in each hand, issuing orders in crisp Spanish to her gardeners. Every bloom was blemish free, every leaf perfect, every blade of grass the exact same shade of green and the exact same height. I understand why she gave up the battle, because that's what it was for her, a battle, unfortunately.

This time of year the gardens start to look a little tired. Hot days of summer, too many distractions, not enough rain, there are lots of things working against me. But it is my passion and I know that I will get back to it in a while, when the grandkids are back in school and our vacation is over and the weather changes and our visitors all go home, it will still be waiting for me.

When I talk to someone that is just starting out with gardening for the first time and they are just learning the basics, I always take a big sigh because I know they are going to learn that gardening is hard, and frustrating, and they are going to learn a lot of lessons in the years ahead. I just hope they are doing it for the right reasons because it is also one of the most rewarding life-long loves they will ever encounter!

2 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Gardening is hard work, but the rewards are so worth it. It is work that is never done, it is always evolving and involving. It is gripping even while we are dripping.

I hope to be able to garden as long as I can. It is great exercise for body, mind and spirit.

FlowerLady

Pam/Digging said...

It's refreshing to hear someone say that gardening is hard. But your friend was definitely making it harder with her perfectionism.

I tend to let my garden go during the long Texas summer. No one would want to see it right now, not even me. I don't enjoy the heat, and I lose interest in the garden during this season. But my love of gardening always springs right back as October brings cooler temperatures and rain. I've learned the garden can get along with a lot less attention in summer, and look a bit crispy and overgrown, yet still be a wonderful source of pleasure for me the rest of the year. I can't imagine ever giving that up either.