Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Little Bay

I use a lot of bay leaves in my cooking. I make a couple soups and stews every week and they always have four or five bay leaves in each pot. Last year I planted this little bay laurel tree in the back yard in SJC. Upon further consideration I will probably have to move it because they can get quite large, but I am so happy to have it available. I haven't started using the leaves yet, having had a large stash of dried ones already, but I will most likely utilize it in the spring. I am already looking forward to making bay wreaths for friends!

3 comments:

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

How wonderful to grow your own bay leaves! It's one of my favorite spices too.

lynn'sgarden said...

I had a bay plant once...but they are not hardy here. A really pretty plant with thick glossy leaves and edible too...can't beat that ;)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

I so wish that it would survive our zone here .. I love the leaves and those amazing wreaths made of them : )
Joy