Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Few Feverfew

I used to have feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) throughout my Laguna garden. It is an herb that spreads readily through self-seeding and will cover an area quickly. It has an interesting story, having been been used for many years for reducing fever, treating headaches, arthritis and digestive problems. I just use it as a pretty filler in the garden. I was actually quite fond of the cheerful little daisies and its easy ways until I read that many people are allergic to it. I had a dog at the time that had terrible allergies and suffered considerably throughout the spring and summer. I ended up removing all the feverfew and it did help my dog. I also removed a few of the other plants that were considered high on the list of allergy irritants like the powder puff bush (calliandra haematocephala). That dog has unfortunately passed away and so the feverfew is working its way back into the garden.

No comments: