Thursday, April 4, 2013

Two Pleasant Surprises

There are two beautiful things going on in the garden in SJC right now that I wish I could take credit for, but they just kind of happened on their own. One is this amazing cascade of pink jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum) that is cascading over the very tall privet hedge in the garden by the front door. I may or may not have planted this jasmine, I can't remember and it could be creeping over from the neighbor's yard. In past years it has bloomed while climbing up the green hedge, but this year it is an amazing fall of bloom all across the top. Do I need to mention that the scent is intoxicating? The whole property is scented with this heady delight, especially at night. I'm smitten!



The other scene that is bringing me much happiness is this native ceanothus that I did plant but had no idea it was going to join the huge salmon colored honeysuckle shrub behind it to form an arch filled with these amazing blue flowers in the back yard.  It was just a little tiny shrub that I stuck in to fill in an awkward spot and it has loved where it is and grown to quite a substantial form. I have had huge ceanothus shrubs in Laguna, but most of the ones I have planted here in SJC have not taken off like this one. Just proves the old adage, right plant - right place! 

     Both of these plants are pest and disease resistant, drought tolerant and the bees and butterflies love them. The only downside to the jasmine is it is not a self-cleaning plant and the brown flower brackets will hang on much longer than desired. Hopefully they are so high that they will not be noticed and the greenery will eventually grow over them. 

      Don't you love it when your garden offers up its own design inspirations?

No comments: