Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sharing Succulents

The Laguna Beach Garden Club will be passing out free cuttings of succulents at the Sawdust Festival this Saturday. They ask members for cuttings from their gardens and I am more than happy to participate. Cutting back succulents is good for them as they have a tendency to get a bit leggy during the growing months if not trimmed. Succulents can be cut and sit for days without being planted, it is actually preferred that they dry out a little before being planted to avoid rot. I have about twenty pounds from my SJC garden and I will be heading over to the Laguna garden to gather some more. They are such easy plants to share!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

This weekend, it seems I live on the wrong coast line! I LOVE succulents and would participate in a heartbeat. I like your succulent basket.

Chicken Boys said...

I'm a sucker for succulents. Actually, I've only got two. I have a Christmas catus that I got when my aunt died. And I have some little thing I got from my mom. Actually, she grabbed a few pieces a number of years ago from a fountain being used as a planter at the hospital. This year, I grabbed some from her plant (which is highly neglected and dies back every winter). I don't know what it is, but it gets tiny white or yellow flowers every summer and is an excellent hanging, trailing plant.
~Randy

Helen Lewis said...

What a great idea to share the blessing! They are so easy to propagate. Nice post!

Denise said...

What a great idea, a succulent swap! I hope I can fit this in this weekend.