Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bouncing Back Lochroma

I thought I had lost this lochroma (Royal Purple Queen) earlier this year. It always had weak, sickly leaves after the winter and I asked my garden helper to finish cutting it back after I started and didn't finish. He must has though I said "cut it to the ground with no chance of it ever surviving" because that is what he did. There was a small woody stump where this six foot shrub had been. Much to my amazement it came back with a vengeance and is bigger and more beautiful than ever. It is a member of the brugmansia family which is evident when you look at the leaves. Come to think of it, my brugmansias could use a good cutting back too!

2 comments:

Landscaping Contractors Toronto said...

Nice and beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.
Terra Stone Landscaping

A1 Chandigarh said...

I grew some golden chard this year, which is looking great, and is the one thing to have evaded the marauding armies of slugs...but I picked some for the first time a couple of days ago and it tasted VERY bitter - even with copious amounts of olive oil, butter and salt it had an unpleasant tang. I've had chard plenty of times before and not had this problem - could the bitterness have been made worse by the weather conditions this year Bhubaneswar Flowers