Wednesday, November 26, 2008

To Cut Iris Back - Or Not

Cutting back the foliage of bearded iris is something that is a matter of personal preference from what I have learned. Some people believe the foliage should be left alone during the winter months and I must admit that is the easiest solution when there are so many other plants that need to be cut back. Then there is the school of thought that cutting back the foliage to three or four inches removes any insects that may be lingering in the thick leaves and eliminates the threat of them boring down into the rhizome.

Although I often leave the foliage alone, this year I thought I would cut it back on many of the new iris to see if it invigorated them for next year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cut mine back like that after I divide them so they can put all their energy into the roots.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

But they look so sad!

Lucy

tina said...

As I look around your blog I am loving it. I keep seeing something more to draw my eye in. I have done both with my iris foliage. I can't see any difference in the plant at all. This year I have chosen not to cut it back. Ironic huh? A local iris grower says there is NEVER any reason to cut back iris foliage, like you say it is a personal thing. I disagree with him though. When moving actively growing iris it is helpful to cut the leaves so they don't flap so much. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:)