Saturday, February 21, 2009

Roses in a Mixed Bed

This is the time of year that shows the advantages of having roses growing in mixed flower beds. This rose 'Falling in Love' looks a little bleak this time of year after being aggressively cut back. It will be at least two more months or more before there are any blooms and let's face it, few roses are grown for their lovely structure and foliage. Having this Marguerite daisy blooming proficiently among the roses gives interest in an otherwise dreary time of year for the roses.

5 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Your rose looks so healthy! No black spots... Ahhhh, my dream!

Gail said...

They cover up those prickly thorns wery well! Do you grow clematis up and over your roses? gail

tina said...

Good idea to blend the two and let them weave together.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sheila .. I have Zephrine D. in a mixed bed with some shorter shrub roses, lavenders and a clematis. I like the variety it gives : )
I have climbers in borders mixed with herbs and perennials too .. I think mixing things up is a GOOD thing : )

Sheila said...

Gail, I grow roses and clematis together on arbors, but I had never thought of growing the clematis on the rose bush itself! I'll have to give that a try. Anything to buy more clematis!