Thursday, June 17, 2010

Crazy About Coreopsis

Do you ever forget about plants that you like a lot? That is what happened to me with coreopsis. I had grown it before in my Laguna garden and I don't know what happened to it. It must have disappeared during some hardscape project or maybe the voles got it. Anyway I know it was a good summer plant, blooming for all the warm months on end with regular deadheading. It is very colorful and has those tall blooms that sway in the breeze that I love. The butterflies love it too. I had originally put in marigolds around this birdbath in the vegetable garden in SJC, but I always prefer a perennial if at all possible. I had to wait until it became available at the nurseries (it was not around in the fall) but I finally got it established this spring. It is a jolt of color that pulls the eye from across the garden to this focal point. Now if I could only get that jacaranda tree behind it to bloom the picture would be perfect!

4 comments:

Antique ART Garden said...

Mine is not nearly that full and pretty. It may prefer cooler temps. than what we are having. I also need to deadhead it more, very pretty, Gina

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

That is a great spot for coreopsis.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I have never had luck with coreopsis coming back in the spring. I'm in NC. Aren't they supposed to be perennial here?

Aaerelon said...

I've never tried them before. I quite like them and will take a look.