Saturday, May 28, 2011
I added a couple clematis to the new rose garden a couple weeks ago and so far, so good. They were in five gallon pots and if you've ever tried to transplant one you know how challenging it can be. First we dug a large hole, much deeper than the pot. Then we slit the pot from the drainage holes up the sides, but not all the way to the top. Then we sank the pot and all into the ground and covered it with compost and soil to about six inches over the top of the pot. This actually covered the stems and all. Once in the ground we put the obelisk over it and watered well. Then you pretty much wait and see how the finicky vine liked what happened. It will either die immediately, get the dreaded 'wilt', or thrive. Luckily they are both thriving! This one is 'Victoria'.