Friday, May 13, 2011

New Clematis

I am adding some clematis to the new rose garden to take advantage of the many obelisks hanging around from the climbing vegetables and to add interest in the way of vertical elements. In the larger raised beds I have four of one kind of rose with a clematis growing in the middle. This one is 'Rogue Cardinal'. Planting clematis is always stressful due to their extremely sensitive roots and brittle stems. I feel anxious just watching hopeful gardeners toting tall blooming containers out of the nursery because I know there is a good chance they will kill them, or at least damage them quickly unless they understand the precautions needed when transplanting these beauties. I speak as someone who has murdered many and I kind of know what I'm doing! I'll let you know how it went next week!

2 comments:

Beech Street Gardens said...

Love the new Clematis......A friend taught me a great way of planting and I have yet to lose one. Double the depth of the hole for the root ball and cover it with potting soil, not dirt. The worms will mix the soil and dirt for you. This has worked for me for years.

Lona said...

What a pretty addition Shelia to the garden. I find myself adding more each year also to fill in the spaces and go vertical.