There are actually a number of advantages to hillside gardens that I have just started appreciating since my other garden is fairly flat. Here are a few that come to mind:
- Photos always look better either looking down the hill or up the hill than ones taken on the level. Everything looks full and interesting.
- Weeding is much easier because you don't have to bend over so far. Depending on the degree of slope to the garden and the height of any terraces you have, most weeding is done at a modest angle.
- Drainage is built in. If you focus on plants that need excellent drainage, you are half way home as far as being successful.
- You can always create flat areas if you really want them by putting in a terrace.
- Climbing up hills builds great legs muscles, not to mention lung capacity.