Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ground Hugging

I know I've mentioned it before, but verbena is a wonderful low growing shrub in our area that doubles as a colorful groundcover that is drought tolerant, attracts butterflies and is not bothered by bugs. This stand of it is on the backside of Flying Rabbit Island in the backyard in SJC and gets no attention at all. It always impresses me when I walk around the back and see it, hugging the ground and keeping the weeds at bay. It's not so aggressive that the daylilies are smothered and thrive easily in the midst of a sea of lavender.

2 comments:

lynn'sgarden said...

Hi Sheila, I wasn't too far from you last week! Visiting my family in O'side..too short a stay, otherwise I would have tried to contact you ;) Verbena is one of my favs!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Verbena as a groundcover - I can only dream about it. Yours looks lovely with yellow daylilies.