Friday, July 16, 2010

Purple Potato Vine

I grow the white potato vine (solanum jasminoides) a number of places because it is so easy and lacy-pretty. I thought I would give the purple version a try, mixed in on an arbor with some 'Graham Thomas' roses to pick up the deep yellow centers of the flowers on the vine. The purple vine is much slower and denser than the white version, although I have only had it about a year. Still haven't enjoyed the intermingling of the vine and roses, they are slow to get established. The soil probably should have been amended much more than I did when I planted them. The spot used to have grass that was treated with chemicals, therefor very dead. I used a lot of organic fertilizer, compost and mulch, but it takes a while to reestablish life underground. Maybe next year!

5 comments:

Tara Dillard said...

Hope you have Graham Thomas in book form too.

Love that man.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

Kathleen said...

That is gorgeous Sheila!

Lona said...

Shelia that is such a beautiful vine. I love the blooms. I have never saw it before. I imagine the white is beautiful too.It will look so beautiful with your Graham Thomas roses.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Gail said...

Sheila, I like that vine~It has the same purple color as the eggplant flower~gail

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! This one makes me think of stained glass.

Lovely!

Nanina