Saturday, August 30, 2008

Can't Wait Any Longer

I just couldn't hold off any longer and have started putting in some new perennials and shrubs in some beds we have just created in SJC. I am trying to reduce the tremendous amount of lawn area that we inherited as well as add some interest to an otherwise boring (at least in my opinion) back yard. The weather has been very mild with the sun not coming out until around noon on some days, later on others. Our hottest weather can be just around the corner when we get the Santa Ana winds in September and October, but they only last for a couple days and you just need to make sure the new plants stay moist.

One of the pretty little items I had to have is this agapanthus called 'Indigo Mood'. I love the dark color and compact size.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fun adding new flower beds as well as plants to fill them up. I love your new Agapanthus. What a deep vibrant blue bloom.

Anonymous said...

oooh, I'm so jealous. The coloring of your Agapanthus is spectacular. I just bought my first Agapanthus this year after eyeing them for several years. They are probably a perennial for you?? I'll be overwintering mine in the basement soon.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I do love the color of your new agapanthus too!!! It sounds like you are having a great time planning and planting(-;

Sheila said...

Kathleen, yes agapanthus are a perennial here in California. In fact they are such a common plant that you see them in almost every commercial building landscape. But we still love them for their lovely foliage and gorgeous blooms that last for four to six weeks. I have one that I swear blooms almost year round!