Thursday, August 28, 2008

Chalk Fingers

The bluish-gray mounding succulent that is in the center-right of the picture is commonly called the less-than-glamorous name of Chalk Fingers (senecio mandraliscas) because it is shaped like fingers and has a chalky look to it when grown in full sun. It is in the same family as cineraria, German ivy and dusty miller. I like it because it needs little to no water, has a lovely blue shade to the foliage and grows easily and quickly, filling in spots that get neglected by the sprinkler system.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the "chalk fingers"! Blue-green foliage is my favorite - in Seattle I have to grow different plants for it, like hostas and cerinthe. Beautiful gardens, you have!

- Karen
http://greenwalks.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Very cool plant Sheila. and it's great for water conservation. I have a few places I need something like that in my garden!

Jane O' said...

I clicked for a closer look and it sure is a beauty. I'm not sure if the name chalk fingers is classy enough for it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely blue-green foliage on "Chalk Fingers". I love interesting color & texture in foliage plants.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Hello!

I have a question about chalk fingers. I bought a baby plant at the farmer's market this summer and it grew to be over 2 feet tall in a hanging pot this summer!

I brought it in for the winter but it is not happy and is slowly dying. should i give it more light, less water (soil is still damp)? any ideas how to save this lovely plant?

thanks,
Eva in VT

Sheila said...

Eva, I'm sorry your plant is not doing well. You may try letting the soil dray all the way out before watering it again. Most houseplants are killed by over watering from what I understand and I know chalk fingers like a dry, sunny environment. Remove any of the foliage that looks bad and give it plenty of sun and very little water and it should be fine until next spring. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!