Friday, August 15, 2008

The Other Side of Hibiscus


I don't grow a lot of hibiscus plants although they live easily in our climate. They are prone to whitefly infestations that are very annoying. Another reason I don't grow them, but appreciate them in other people's gardens is they are typically very bright colored and have a 'tropical' feel to them which is not my style of garden. This one is the exception and I absolutely love it. I planted it in Laguna about ten years ago (that is it on the right side of the bench in the top photo) and so far the whiteflies have not noticed it. It is so soft and romantic that I swear I swoon when I notice the first blooms in the summer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That truly is one beautiful hibiscus. I know when I lived in Orange County I wasn't all that found of hibiscus as they are overly planted and tropical, which is also not my style but that beauty is gorgeous! Enough to make me rethink hibiscus!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

That is so pretty. I love the soft color!!!!

Anonymous said...

I only grow double hibiscus and love your light pink one. I have had a light pink one for years, but it has not bloomed in about three years. I don't know why since it is growing under the same conditions and right next to ones that are blooming. Yours is a gorgeous pink.

Jan
Always Growing

Anonymous said...

Lovely shade of pink on that hibiscus. You're right, they are usually very flamboyant colors, but that one is very subtle & charming.

Anonymous said...

Your plantings nestled around the bench look very nice. They give the garden an air of permanence.
The hibiscus is lovely, and makes me wish they grew here.

Mother Nature said...

I love the soft pink hibiscus and especially your garden bench.