Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mary Frances

If you buy an iris in a nursery around here chances are it will be Mary Frances like this one that has just started blooming in my SJC garden.
I am not sure why nurseries sell so few iris. They have beautiful flowers, few pests or diseases, are drought tolerant and have some of the most beautiful flowers imaginable. It may be because most of them only bloom for a couple weeks of the year. Even the reblooming ones only have flowers for a few weeks sporatically. So many people in our area want plants that bloom every day of the year. To me that would be like eating the exact same thing every day. Why not have an ice cream sundae once in a while for a treat? That is what iris are to me in my garden. A bit of an indulgence that makes life interesting.

9 comments:

Emerson said...

HEAR HEAR!!!

Emerson said...

also, the foliage is maybe not super exciting but it does add some very nice contrast texturally...

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Gardeners need to read more Henry Mitchell, to catch the iris bug. He called them "princes of the vegetable kingdom". As for the foliage being monotonous, he said, so is grass!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Sheila, I have a request - can you post a picture of this rose that is tied to a colomn when it's in bloom, please?!

Sheila said...

Tatyana, that rose on the column behind the iris is 'Joseph's Coat' and I will be happy to post a photo when it is in bloom, which should be soon!

Emerson said...

I have to agree on the Henry Mitchell. Some of the best words written about gardening...

Anonymous said...

Mary Frances is a beauty in lavender & I love the ruffled falls. :) I agree completely, it is fun to anticipate something new every month in the garden.

Pam/Digging said...

Seasonal interest is what keeps us going outside to look. Great post, and that's a lovely iris.

Gail said...

Sheila~I like it against the pillar...I only have three two old Germans iris in the garden~~ an early deep purple and the old fashioned lilac that smells like grape juice! They sure give us a great deal of pleasure! gail