Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Window Planter, Before and After

This is the small planter under our dining room window in SJC and what it looked like when we moved in two years ago. Nothing wrong with this tidy little hedge, other than maybe a bit boring.
This is what it looks like today. The color of the house is always a challenge to work with when placing blooming plants next to it, but this 'Royal Sunset' climbing rose works well as does the Spanish lavender. The lavender will bloom like this for a few months and then be cut back and the gray-green foliage will be a backdrop to the carpet rose 'Amber' that is planted with it. Overall I'm quite pleased with this combination.

11 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

Nice job! I love lavender. It is my favorite scent.

Please visit my post Where In the World is Bilbo? I am having a little blogging adventure. It would be fun for you to participate. Thanks :)

Sylvia (England) said...

Sheila, what a difference! It is lovely and very inviting.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

Lona said...

What a beautiful change. Now it is bright and pretty.

Megan said...

It looks great, although I have to say, with the setting you have to work with, I bet it's hard to go wrong. Is that your patio with that railing? It's a beautiful space.

Becca's Dirt said...

Nice window plants. I like the lavender. It is very pretty.

EB said...

Very classy. I love lavender, but have twice killed some by letting it get overgrown by other plants. Your terrace looks lovely. I suspect Russell Page would approve :)

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous combination Sheila. Orange and purple are another of my favorite combinations in the garden. I was just trying to design a container with those colors in mind....

vuejardin said...

Do you think lavender will grow back the next year?

Sheila said...

Vuejardin, yes, the lavender will give another bloom in the summer, although somewhat less exuberant than the spring bloom. It will last about three or four years, being a rather short lived perennial in our area.

Stephanie said...

Wow you have a bed of Lavender at your varendah. I wonder if they release fragrance now. Anyway, very nice!

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I call an improvement! Beautiful, and I can just smell the lavender.