Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Elevation Changes

I have always gardened in places that have some kind of elevation changes. Southern California is a very hilly place and many homes either are built on a hill, have hills within the property or backup to hillsides. I wouldn't have it any other way. Although hauling supplies up and down hillsides like in my Laguna garden can be a daunting task, it did keep me healthy for years without going to a gym. Our home in SJC is also built on a slight slope and was terraced long before we arrived. Walking into a garden area should be an amazing experience, but a dramatic change in elevation only enhances that experience. This is the view from the Gravel Garden looking up into the Back Yard. If you look closely you can see lots of hints of what is to come while looking through the light pillars at the top of the stairs. I still get a sense of anticipation coming around this bend and looking up into the next garden, and I do it every day.

No comments: