Monday, May 21, 2012

Pale vs. Bright

There are many differences between my gardens in Laguna and SJC, but one of the main distinctions is the ambiance created by the colors I have chosen. The Laguna garden is filled with romantic pastels and soft colored blooms. It feels right with the cedar shingled house and soft lighting of the hillside close to the ocean. There are some vivid colors of course, but the main emphasis is on muted tones. In SJC with the dramatic gold color of the house and the clear bright sky, I have chosen more brightly saturated colored flowers to stand up to the intense hues and lighting. That doesn't mean I don't have a place for lovely muted shades like this 'Beverly Sills' iris that I have throughout the back yard perennial garden in SJC. Regardless of my focus for a garden bed, there is always room for a favorite!

No comments: