Friday, September 9, 2011

We've Got Grapefruit!

I have a cousin that lives in Arizona and I have long coveted his amazing grapefruit that come from his tree. I have a neighbor in Laguna that annually brings me a bag of grapefruit from a tree that grows in his Palm Springs home that are delicious. I do know that the best citrus come from hot, dry climates and that is not our environment, but I had to give it a try. We do have older, established orange trees in SJC that provide us a crop of amazing fruit so maybe the same could be true of a grapefruit tree. I did go to the Plant Depot Nursery to buy the tree. They have a good selection of citrus that do well in our climate so I have high hopes. I planted it in a planter near the house where the heat is held in and there are fewer critters to beat me to the prizes, so we'll see. I will most likely pick one soon to see how they taste, but I even am enjoying just seeing them on the tree!

2 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

How exciting! I've grown lemons, limes, and oranges, but never grapefruit. Can't wait to hear how your homegrown grapefruit tastes.

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Sheila, Good luck with your grapefruit. My mouth is watering! P x