Friday, May 3, 2013

Consider Ajuga for Sun

I think one key to a lovely garden is choosing the right groundcovers. I like to think of them as little throw rugs in my garden. They add interest, color and texture, but probably the most important role they have is just what their name implies, they cover the bare soil which means there is little chance for weeds to get started. This dark bronze groundcover is a patch of ajuga reptans, sometimes called carpet bugle, that is growing in my Laguna garden and has been for probably the past eight years. It has charming little vertical purple flowers in the spring, but the bronze foliage is the real reason to grow it. I had always thought of it as a shade plant and used it that way, but it seems to grow even better in this full sun area in our mild climate. This bronze cultivar (I think it is 'Chocolate Chip') also adds a nice contrast to the typically green shrubs and perennials that it surrounds. Pretty, easy and prevents weeds, what's not to love?

2 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I just bought this for my gardens here in s.e. FL. I hope they will do well here. I definitely need ground cover so that the weeds won't take over the gardens. I have a yarrow that does well here that is also a ground cover and it is already spreading and doing great.

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening said...

Ajuga is lovely. I just did a post on it as well right before I saw yours. It is one of those under used plants that does the job in hard to grow places and adds lots of color!