Friday, October 24, 2008

Palm Alley


This is one of my favorite spots in SJC. We call it Palm Alley because it is a narrow strip connecting the pool area with the meditation garden that has about a dozen queen palms lining it, creating a shady canopy. It is one of the few really shady areas in the entire yard and I love shade gardening. When we moved in here a couple years ago it was a soggy, wet, grass area and of course the palm trees. My son put in the flagstone path to keep our feet dry and we added hydrangeas, foxgloves, azaleas, ferns, fuchsias, baby tears, ajuga, Australian violets and a number of other shade-loving plants. As planned, the moisture loving plants suck up the water that accumulates in this low area of the property and it is no longer a swamp, but a pleasant path to enjoy the lovely plants that I can't grow anywhere else on the property because they would require too much water.

5 comments:

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

That must be a very beautiful way to walk.

How long is it?

Lucy

Sheila said...

Hmmm... I would say it is about 25 feet long.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shady area & I love the pathway.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes Sheila, I want to walk along that lovely path! It makes me wonder what lies beyond. Pretty.

Salime said...

It is beautiful. I have never walked along palm alley. I am definitely not missing it next month.