Monday, January 17, 2011

The Big Camillias

Although camellia blooms do not like rain (they turn brown at the slightest dampness), apparently they do like it when it soaks the ground before they bloom because this year my white camellias are bigger than I have ever seen them! It is hard to tell from this photo, but I would say they are about a third bigger than the previous years on the same plant. I do fertilize them with organic acidic fertilizer once a year after they bloom, but the only thing that would be different in their care is the heavy rains we have had all fall and winter while the buds were forming. They do make great cut flowers for this time of year when the pickings are sparse and I usually float them in low bowls of water. This is the time of year to plant them and the weather is lovely this week so I may just add one or two new shrubs to the garden!

4 comments:

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

That might be the prettiest flower I've ever seen. Oh how I wish we could grow these up north.

Vasi Dubreu said...

Amazing!
If this is the picture, I wonder how in reality?
Have a nice day!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Sheila, it's a wonderful flower! Very elegant!

Phillip Oliver said...

One of my favorite flowers, I love them!