We include artichokes in the elementary school garden for a number of reasons:
- They are way easy to grow
- They provide five or six vegetables per plant
- They are fun to eat and talk about
- They harvest before school is out
- Even though a hungry rabbit (our biggest problem in the kids' garden) will still eat the course, prickly leaves, they grow faster than the bunnies can eat them, therefor they survive!
If I am guilty of anything when it comes to these guys, it is leaving them on the plant way too long. I enjoy seeing them in the garden and I miss them when they have been harvested. They will send up a second harvest in the summer, but the chokes are much smaller.
If you look closely in my "Mauvelous" posting, you can see the greenish-purple of the chokes growing in the Laguna garden.