Monday, July 28, 2008

One Naked Lady


The other day I was noticing Amaryllis belladonna, common name, Naked Lady blooming around town. It seems I always forget to plant them until I see them in bloom and then regret that I hadn't go around to buying any bulbs. Then the other day I was walking around my garden in Laguna which has a sad case of the summertime blues and is looking a bit ragged around the edges, if you know what I mean (note the weeds popping up behind the bloom above), and there, down near the bottom of the hill was this lone Naked Lady blooming away with abandon. I then remembered that a few years ago I picked up a couple bulbs someone had brought to a Master Gardener's meeting to share with the group. They sat in the garage for months before I grabbed them and put them in the ground without much thought. What a lovely surprise for me this week!

4 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love when these bloom!! It is kinda sad at the same time because it does signal that summer is winding down. I have them scattered around the yard too(-:

Katarina said...

What a beautiful flower! I haven't seen this species in real life...I guess it won't survive the winters in Scandinavia.. Too bad!
/Katarina

Anonymous said...

I've done that, planted bulbs and forgot that I planted them. :) Those are gorgeous blooms and their lack of foliage makes them interesting.

Torsdag 1952 said...

Amaryllis belladonna, the first time I saw this plant was in
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park north from the 80-foot waterfall that drops from granite cliffs into the ocean. Lots and lots of flowers without showing theis leaves.
I hope to find some new gardenplaces when I'll be next time in California.
Thanks for your wonderful blog

hallo from Germany
Hartmut (torsdag)