Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sweet, Sweet Snowdrops

Snowdrops are just my favorites! They are the first bulbs to show up in the middle of winter (thus their name) and they naturalize here very easily.
Lilies of the Valleys don't do well here because it doesn't get cold enough for them, but these are a lovely alternative, although they aren't really fragrant. This little patch in Laguna has been there for eight or nine years at least and they still show up to our delight every year! I always forget to plant more! I must remember next year because I absolutely adore them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, sweet little blooms, indeed. :)

tina said...

They are sweet and I am always promising myself to plant them, but never can find the bulbs:( Easy to forget too!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful little blooms. I will have to put these on my wishlist Sheila. :)

IBOY said...

Sheila... your snowdrops are actually snowflakes (leucojum). The famous garden writer Elizabeth Lawrence always wrote that southerners all say they grow snowdrops in their gardens, but they're actually snowflakes, too. What the heck, they are just as pretty, whatever they are called.
don

Anonymous said...

Sheila, thanks for leaving me a comment - it is lovely to see your snow drops here - they are always such a delight.
K