Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Science Project

If your child is looking for a science project I would suggest this one on showing the process of transpiration. Transpiration is is the loss of water vapor from parts of plants, especially in leaves. First purchase a large (is there any other kind) elephant ears plant (disambiguation) and place it on a table indoors. Place a material that will not absorb water underneath it and wait overnight. In the morning there will be puddles of water on the surface below the leaves where the water has dripped from transpiration. Right now I am conducting this experiment daily on my good table by the front door.

1 comment:

HolleyGarden said...

I'm chuckling, but I am very sorry about your good table. This really could be a great science project - I can remember the days when I was always looking for one. And the best part is keeping the elephant eat plant!