Tuesday, June 7, 2011

One Last Plant

Gardening in a mild climate means it is none stop. Even planting can be done practically year round here, but I force a cut off date of June 1st as a deadline for putting in new plants until the fall. Even drought tolerant plants need a bit extra water while they become established and I'm just not able to baby new additions that get added too late in the season. That being said, I am adding this sweet little (but soon to be large) purple smoke bush (cotinus coggygria) that I picked up last week. My DH and I were at a winery in Carmel a few weeks ago and he commented on their lovely specimen. It doesn't take much to encourage me so I had to get one so that when in the garden there would be something to remind us of a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

Donna said...

you have a good point...even here I am reluctant to add new plants or even do weeding unless I know we will have sufficient rain...of course we had too much for 6 weeks at the start of the spring season...no planting...then I had a little window to get clean up and planting done...now too hot and dry to continue but we will get a break this weekend.. soon though all planting will stop and only weeding and dreaming of fall planting will happen...

VW said...

How nice to have a reminder of your fun trip. Your self-control is admirable, taking a break from planting in mid-summer. I have a hard time saying no whenever the perfect plant shows up.