Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lovely Loropetalum

There are two of my favorite shrubs in this picture and I particularly like them together. The green one is pittosporum 'Golf Ball' and the deep burgundy one is loropetalum (not sure which hybrid). Loropetalum is also called 'Fringe Flower' due to the shaggy little pink blooms it gets in spring. I do love it for the beautiful foliage, but it does not seem to love me, or maybe I should say it doesn't love my garden. I have planted it a number of times over the years and have never been very successful in getting it to grow. It most likely requires more water than I am willing to give it and therefore sulks most of the year. Moist, well drained soil in a sunny location just doesn't exist around here, but putting it in a small garden bed with partial shade and slow drainage has allowed a few of them to hang on, although not really flourish and grow. But I like the contrast it adds to this mainly foliage area and as long as it doesn't fade away I will be content!

2 comments:

Masha said...

Loropetalum is my favorite evergreen shrub. I grow several varieties and they do well here. I have the species too, which has lime green foliage and snow white flowers. You are right, they are great foliage plants, and some leaves turn orange on the purple ones making them subtly interesting. I am glad you managed to get some to grow.

HolleyGarden said...

I love the burgundy foliage, too, and think it pairs well with a lot of contrasting plants. For some reason, I have not had a lot of luck with them, either, but I keep trying. One day I'll figure out the secret!