Friday, June 3, 2011

Oakleaf Hydrangea

Back in a corner of the Moonlight Garden I planted an Oakleaf hydrangea a few years ago. It has taken some time to start growing but is finally getting some height and yes, it is even blooming! Typically found in the southeastern part of the country, these big beautiful shrubs are surprisingly drought tolerant and do well with mostly shade since they naturally grow under large trees. The foliage is very pretty and a bit dramatic. It is does have lovely fall color before it drops its leaves in the winter. The white blooming shrub in the forefront is the Rice Flower shrub (ozothamnus).

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Always wondered about growing that variety in so ca. Glad you had success - time to order one. Thanks!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

This has to be my favorite hydrangea. So little would grow in our first garden because we had a lot shade, but the one Oakleaf Hydrangea I planted was a monster, and bloomed reliably every year. I'd expect here the deer would eat it, but I wouldn't mind trying.

HolleyGarden said...

I love these, though I don't have one. I need to make room. Yours is beautiful.

Donna said...

I love these and have a few since they are native to central NY...ours are just leafing out and hopefully we will see beautiful blooms like yours