Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The 'Confusing' Blue Hibiscus


In my last post I wrote about my pure white "Blue Hibiscus' and I confused a few people that are not familiar with this plant. It is not the hibiscus from Hawaii with the large, flashy flowers which is a tropical plant, although it is a member of the
malvaceae family so I guess you would call it a distant cousin. A cousin that grew up in Australia, where this plant is from, as are many of the plants that do well in Southern California.


Unlike the tropical hibiscus, this plant requires little water and has few pest or diseases. It is a shrub that gets to be about five feet tall around here. It typically only comes with flowers in shades of purple, except for one white cultivator. Hope this clears up any confusion!

8 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

What a beautiful flower. I have never seen a blue hibuscus. I know you are proud to have it.

Stephanie said...

Many thanks for the further information. This distant cousin does resembles those tropical hibiscus. Wonderful!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

This one is really pretty too. I love the color. So I have a few hibiscus but I guess they are not real hibiscus. They are listed as Rose Mallow. One of my favorites looks like a pretty Hawaiian hibiscus to me though(-:
rose mallow
I love it! So many different flowers that look so much alike(-:

O.K. now I must finish my project for the day. Or at least get some of it finished(-:

OF SPRING AND SUMMER said...

That is an amazing colour!! Love it!

Karen - An Artist's Garden said...

What a fabulous shade of blue this hibiscus is. Lovely picture.
K

Wendy said...

Just beautiful! I love hibs. Never seen a blue one, but as you pointed out, the tropical variety are different.

Anonymous said...

It sure has lovely flowers, even if it does have a confusing name!

Gail said...

That is one beasutiful flower. The color is fantastic...I can't believe how vast the malva family is! gail