Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Elusive Blue Hydrangia

This hydrangea is a rare sight in a Southern California garden. Because our soil and water is on the alkaline side, the ph level necessary for blue hydrangeas is rarely ever just right. Even if I use supplements to alter the ph, the best I seem to ever do is get a lavender bloom (although I must confess I am not that diligent about adding suppliments). I crave those big blue blooms that I've seen in southern gardens where huge bushes dominate the landscape, but either I need to move or be more diligent in manipulating my soil. This one was blue when I purchased it and it was in the house for a couple months and my guess is that the blooms had already formed before it got moved into the garden. I will just have to enjoy it while it lasts because I suspect it will be a lovely pink next year!

6 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

I have 10 hydrangeas, and 8 of them are blue. I don't tinker with the soil at all...I just let it be. Almost every one I planted was pink, then they turned. I have some that are a deep blue. I have 2 hydrangeas I recently planted, a deep pink one and a Fuji Waterfall. So I am curious to see what they are going to do. You can check out my blue ones here...I am really amazed by the deep shade of blue....especially considering how pink it was when planted.

http://northmobilegardensociety.blogspot.com/2009/05/progression-of-hydrangea.html

I am referring to the first collage of the lacecap hydrangea

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful hydrangea. I love the blue too.

Unknown said...

that is a great shade of blue....mine is PINK!!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Most of mine are blue, I think our soil is very acidic with so many evergreen trees around. Hydrangeas are pretty any color I think.

Gail said...

I admire them, too but they don't like my dry shade garden...sigh! gail

joey said...

Trial & error in the garden ... wishes are gardener's dreams. Mine sometimes let me down but am simply happy to see them bloom! Good luck and happy June gardening :)