Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Pond au Natural

This is what the little pond in Laguna looks like this time of year before it becomes engulfed in water hyacinths. It is a just a hole in the ground with a pond liner and rocks around the perimeter. It has cheap goldfish to control the mosquitoes and is very clear water with no form of artificial filtration. Once we had a very large frog living in there, but I'm not sure he is still there. It is a mystery to me how frogs get into ponds because there is no other water anywhere near this tiny pond!

6 comments:

Darla said...

I have considered a pond before. Sounds like a lot of work though. Great photo.

EB said...

Yes it is fascinating about frogs. I believe this was once put forward as argument for a very primitive version of creationism.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

The pond is so simple according to your description but it is so elegant. I know where is your frog Sheila - he is watering my garden, you saw him on my last picture, didn't you?

Sheila said...

Yes Tatyana, I saw that cute little frog watering your garden, but my frog was not that adorable by any stretch of the imagination!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love your pond and how natural it looks.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I have a pond that is just a hole that I cemented when we first moved here.
It has tadpoles in it thanks to my daughter and her bf! They are never to old to go catch them I guess!(-:
I have had many bullfrogs hop over to my yard though. There are a couple large reservoirs about 1/4 mile away from us and a creek a little further. Every year though, one large one will show up! So some how they find water, even if it is hidden well!