Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Darkest Groundcover

Although ajuga is supposed to be able to handle some shade, I have always had much better luck growing it in full sun, maybe because we live in such a mild climate. It really can't be beat for creating a carpet of dark, shiny foliage that works to set off other plants. If you look closely at this picture you can see the blooms of spiky blue flowers which are sweet, even though it is typically grown for the foliage. I believe this is 'Chocolate Chip'.

3 comments:

walk2write said...

Chocolate chip looks yummy. I might just have to try some here in my garden, if I can find it. What is your favorite commercial source for plants? I personally prefer Wayside and White Flower Farms (excellent customer service), as well as the local nursery, but plants like your ajuga don't often show up in those places.

Anonymous said...

I have been struggling to grow some Ajuga in the shade so perhaps I will give it a go in a more sunny place

Anonymous said...

Timely! I've been wondering what I can plant in a shady part of my garden, which is lined with a virtual mini-forest. I'll explore this one. Thanks!