Friday, May 16, 2008

Weed Stopper

This is convolvulus sabatius, one of the best groundcovers I have found for this area. Its common name is Gound Morning Glory, but don't let the name scare you, it is not invasive.

It does form a thick mat that is covered with purplish-blue flowers almost year round, which makes the need for weeding unnecessary where it is planted. It is fairly drought tolerant once it is established. I use is a lot around the feet of roses and although it takes awhile to get going, once it makes itself at home it will fill in and spread nicely.

3 comments:

Katarina said...

I wish we could grow it here in Sweden - I'm looking for a ground cover for my roses. This one was very pretty!
/Katarina

walk2write said...

What a pretty ground cover! I am always looking for attractive, weed-choking ground covers. Do you think it would thrive in northwest Florida? We are in zone 8, fairly humid in the summer, with a fair chance of frost during the months of December and January. The soil here, of course, is sandy with a bit of clay.

Sheila said...

walk2write -

I am not sure how well it would handle the humidity and rainfall but it is often used in rock gardens because it need good drainage and warmth (hardiness zone 8 - 11).

Good luck!