Friday, May 30, 2008

Garden Work Horse



I use a lot of scabiosa (pincushion flower) in my gardens. They are such easy going perennials that add a true feeling of abundance to the garden because they fill in quickly and produce an enormous amount of blooms for months at a time if they are kept dead-headed. They make great cut flowers. The most prolific ones are the lavender ones, but they also come in pink (see the middle picture) and some very dark, purplish-blue giant ones, which come-to-think-of-it, I haven't seen in a while in the garden. Hmmmm, wonder where they went?

Also, the butterflies love them!

2 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Another beautiful plant I also can grow here in hot northern california.(-: Yours look much better though(-:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty shot of the scabiosa. I have some of the Butterfly Blue scabiosa and love its lavender flowers and extended bloom time too. It's a very adaptable plant to grow well in such different zones.