Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Garden Pests

I was in a discussion the other day with some gardeners and the question came up; what is the biggest pest you have in the garden? Gophers, aphids, rose slugs? I have to admit I can deal with all those problems. My biggest pest? Our seven month old German Shepard, Tilly. Luckily she is not much of a digger, except maybe to hide a bone from our other dog. But if there is anything full and lush, like these ferns or tall wispy grasses, she sees it as an invitation to jump right in it and stomp it down to make a temporary resting place where she can keep an eye on me just in case I may suddenly have the urge to play with her. See that enthusiastic, energetic look she has? She is like that from the first thing in the morning until she collapses at night. If she could talk she would be saying "Wanna play? Wanna play? Wanna play?" Where is our other dog? Hiding from Tilly, no doubt.

7 comments:

Louvregirl said...

Great photo:) I have similar pests; "Lakhi! Get out of the garden!"
:)
My hairy pest is (also) obsessed with bumble bees and has been trying all summer to catch one in her mouth.

Nancy said...

Our ten month old chow/rottweiler loves to lie on the grasses...and chase the rabbits, of course, smashing everything!

Elizabeth Barrow said...

For me, it's a toss-up between a curious 7-year-old and a pig-headed dog who LOVES to taste green tomatoes! Thanks for the post!

marilyn said...

that is a fabulous photo! i can certainly sympathize. i just finished a new garden and my 1 yo springer spaniel has trampled almost every plant along the fence line. is there such a thing as dog proof plants?

Kimberly said...

Oh, Sheila! The poor furry creature can't help itself!! Remarkably, I have a similar creature, not as large or furry, but none the less, a pest that loves to trample my ferns. It's their nature, I suppose. And when they flash those sweet, innocent eyes, one can't help but melt into butter. Oh well...the ferns will bounce back I suppose.

Donna said...

I am a dog lover, and that picture is so sweet and disconcerting at the same time. I spent years dog proofing the garden and finally, the two of them relented to my wishes. Squirrels could only be chased as far as the edge of the beds. No digging the impatiens, chewing (pruning) off twigs on the viburnum, eating the sweet woodruff like candy, imprinting the catmint after the feral cats made it a bed, etc.etc.etc. I get the garden pest reference.

Shyrlene said...

What an adorable picture! You can just see the 'puppy' enthusiasm in Tilly's face! The challenge is the +70lbs that comes with that enthusiasm. Animals, like kids, never perform or behave on queue - good luck with your ferns, etc.!