Saturday, September 18, 2010

While I'm On The Subject

Planting "en masse" isn't just for garden beds. This old wooden container that sits by my front walkway in SJC is usually filled with annuals. When the spring annuals were spent, only the dirt remained, I'm embarrassed to say, all summer. I was walking by the other day and on the spur of the moment decided to do something about it. With a few minutes I had broken off about a dozen young aeonium off shoots and filled in the container. No tools were needed and it has been over a month and they are doing quite well. I will probebly rotate the container 180 degrees every once in a while so they grow evenly since the light is to the left. Now why didn't I do this earlier?

10 comments:

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Sheila, How clever! And so effective. Pam x

Goneferalinidaho said...

That looks terrific.

~fer said...

Great idea!
a perfect way to use the container.
Are you planing on taking those out next season or they will be the permanent feature there?

Annette! said...

Beautiful container! Great carefree plants for your space too.

Sheila said...

-fer, the aeoniums will most likely get tall and lanky in time and will need to be replaced. I guess it will depend on what I feel like doing when that occurs!

Scented Leaf said...

What a beautiful wood planter! Any history about it? I think that small plants like those blend perfect with this carved wood.

Louvregirl said...

That is just plain lovely!

Unknown said...

I'm a succulent lover and think they often look best in found objects like this rustic container. It's so wonderful to spend just a few minutes to create something so beautiful. Thanks for sharing all your lovely photos.

Kathleen said...

What a great idea! They look terrific there. It's so exciting to think of new uses/plantings for containers. I feel happy when I come up with something I think is good too.

Pam/Digging said...

Great solution, even if temporary.