Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hot

I've been waiting patiently for the "autumn-urge-to-garden" feelings to overcome me after a too brief summer. I used to burn-out in the summer and worry that I would never have those feelings of the need to plant, prune and plan for gardens to come, would return, but they always did. Last week I was thinking about pumpkins and mums and I had on my to-do list for this week, a trip or two to the nursery. Well, it was 107 degrees here yesterday. Record breaking heat, no doubt. Nothing like heat stroke to dash those ambitions of grandeur in the garden! At least I didn't go out and buy all those fall annuals that would be shriveling in this heat. I can only imagine the panic at the nurseries that are packed with pansies this time of year. At least pumpkins don't wilt!

6 comments:

Carolyn ♥ said...

Oh! That is hot! No need to think about Autumn... fid some shade and sip some lemonade.

Nancy said...

I totally agree! It's roasting here in the Santa Cruz mountains also. Hot all night, which is really unusual. We are ripping stuff out of the garden, not yet planting, thank goodness!

Ginny said...

And I thought our 95+ temps in late September were awful! Hope you have some more autumnal temps there soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that's a bit hot even for a summer lover like me! Here in Ohio it was even 95 last Thursday, but today, only in the 50's. Fall has arrived, sigh.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

We've been taunting the century mark here too, although we were cooler you, at a mere 97 yesterday. I'm so glad I didn't get my fall planting done on time, or my spinach would have bolted!

Marilyn Adams said...

I have been experiencing those same urges. After an impulsive trip to Rogers Gardens, on a day that was very fall-like, I resisted the pansies but returned home with some very pricey and unusual pumpkins. Almost all of them actually did survive the heat. One is a goner for sure, and they look entirely out of place now in the middle of this hot spell.