Friday, March 13, 2009

Wisteria That Thinks It's a Groundcover

I planted this wisteria when we moved into our SJC house two years ago. I was so excited that I had a big sturdy pergola that could handle this domineering vine. It is in bloom now and as you can see it is performing beautifully except that it refused to grow up! It has never been pruned and there is a matching vine on the other side of the pergola that has already made its way to the top, although it is not in bloom yet. They are both the same kind, Texas Purple, so I don't really know why this one stays short. But it is still lovely!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is odd that it hasn't gotten taller Sheila! It is a very pretty shade of purple.

Debra Howard said...

It is pretty. Maybe if you wack it back. They seem to love that when they are cut back they really take off.
Debbie

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love wisteria blooms! They are so pretty. Yours looks beautiful there too! Funny that a wisteria wouldn't want to grow up!(-:

Lona said...

It is so pretty. Just be glad it is blooming. I have had two for eight years and still no blooms. I am about to jerk them both up. You can make a tree out of it if it doesn't vine by trimming the shoots off.I love the color.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that you should prune them. Maybe they'll then grow more. But I don't know for sure.

Tara Dillard said...

Oh dear, my wisteria has barely grown leaf tips. It's W. 'amethyst falls'. Which wisteria do you have?

Love your column........
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

Sheila said...

Tara, this wisteria is 'Texas Purple'.

Anonymous said...

That is very pretty! I have had that problem with a vine in the past. My Black-Eyed Susan Vine would not grow up the trellis, no matter how I wrapped it and attached it to the trellis. I finally just let is become a groundcover for a season. This was in Kentucky, so it died during the winter.

Jake

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Blooming means happy, and it is a pretty one. Perhaps it is depressed, seeing that strong pillar and knowing that it will never be able to destroy it. I think when all else on the earth is gone we will be survived by cockroaches and wisteria.