Saturday, March 21, 2009

Old Watering Cans

I use watering cans in garden all the time to mix fish emulsion for fertilizer. Because the garden is so big and far away from my potting shed I have a number of them that I just leave throughout the garden so they are handy when I need them. I only use metal ones that I pick up at discount places like T.J. Max or the aluminum ones from the big home centers. They all only last a few years before they rot out. This one lost its functionality years ago and ended up on a fence post where it has lived ever since. It is now a permanent garden fixture until it rots all the way through.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it -- so much charm and character. :) And I see it has adopted a tenant...a volunteer?

Wicked Gardener said...

Very nice. Metal ones look so much nicer than my cheapo plastic ones, even when they are all rusted out.

Wicked Gardener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wicked Gardener said...

Very nice. Metal ones look so much nicer than my cheapo plastic ones, even when they are all rusted out.

Anonymous said...

I bought a ceramic elephant watering can. It is so heavy when full of water (or not full for that matter) that I never use it. So, it just sits in the garden under a bush.
Donna

Anonymous said...

I bought a ceramic elephant watering can. It is so heavy when full of water (or not full for that matter) that I never use it. So, it just sits in the garden under a bush.
Donna

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love old watering cans and I collect them(-: Yours is really nice. I love the color of it too! What a great piece of garden art(-:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

That is such a great idea ! I have been using plastic ones .. not as charming I'm thinking ? LOL

Sheila said...

Yes Nancy, that ivy became a homesteader in the watering can. In fact I was looking at the photo before I posted it and thought that I didn't remember ever planting that ivy in the garden! It must have been a visitor from my nearby neighbor's yard!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

That watering can does have character. I love it! I collect old cans, too, and try to collect rain water in them to use in the garden.

I scrolled down to see more pics of your gardens. You sure live in a pretty area! I like the view through the trees.

Thanks for your comment on my hellebore post.

Anonymous said...

I love this photo Sheila. I guess because I collect old watering cans too. Leaving it there has created the perfect vignette.