Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Orchid Place

I've written about how easy it is to grow cymbidium orchids in our climate and I don't mean to rub it in to all my friends that are still waiting for the snow to melt, but I have to show the spot where I park all my cymbidiums after they are done blooming in SJC.
I usually buy a pot in bloom every year for inside the house in January as a present for myself for making it through the holidays. When they are finished blooming after a couple months I sink them, pot and all, into a shady spot in the garden where my bromeliads live. They get watered with the sprinklers and left pretty much alone. With little provocation they send up flowers like this that put on a show for almost three or four months.

7 comments:

joey said...

Lovely cymbidiums ~ gorgeous colors! I've also had great success with mine reblooming. After enjoying inside, mine vacation outside in summer then return to my sunporch in fall. Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

Oh wow, they are lovely! I especially love the deep purple.

Susan Tomlinson said...

How lucky you are to be able to grow them out in your garden!

Bren Haas said...

Wonderful color - you are a great photographer. I enjoy your blog and can't wait to see what spring holds for you.

Stephanie said...

I like purple things and especially these orchids that you have posted. And what a clever idea to re-park them :-)

lynn'sgarden said...

Sheila, I could stare at these orchids all day..love those shades of purple! Yes, you are lucky!
Lynn

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Love it! The second, dark color is so dramatic!