Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kenilworth Ivy

I am always looking for interesting groundcovers and this is one I love. It is Kenilworth ivy (cymbalaria muralis) and it may be considered a problem in some parts of the world because it does reseed and pop up in unexpected places. I don't think I have ever planted it, but as you can see here it has found a shady, damp retaining wall and made itself at home in Laguna. It is very dainty and the tiny purple flowers are charming. In the right spot it is a good solution.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks charming creeping up that stone retaining wall. :)

Sylvia (England) said...

Sheila, this brings back memories. It was growing in old walls in the village where I lived as a child. The new home owners have now 'repaired' the walls and got rid of this weedy plant! Sad it is a pretty plant, the succulent leaves fascinated me.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sheila there is a lot to be said about ground covers .. this one is very pretty indeed ! I wouldn't mind some myself : )

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

It does look lovely growing there! Ground covers are always welcome in my garden(-:

Victoria Summerley said...

In England we call it ivy-leaved toad flax. I used to have it growing by the gate in my last house. When she was about six or seven, my daughter asked me what it was called, and I told her. The next day I heard her telling my husband its name was "I believe in toad facts".