Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Drought Tolerant Groundcover

I am a big fan of ceanothus, a California native that booms lovely pure blue flowers in winter and early spring. There are many varieties, most that are large shrubs. (Check out Google images for some beautiful examples.) Sometimes called California lilac, it does well where lilacs languish in warm dry climates. Although it does not have the lovely scent of a lilac, it is a favorite of the bees. This particular variety is a low growing shrub that hugs the ground with these unique variegated leaves called 'Diamond Heights'. This particular one is on a slope in my Laguna garden and tolerates very dry conditions there.

6 comments:

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Very pretty! I am used to seeing the bushy forms. How is it in fire?

Sheila said...

Daffodil Planter, ceanothus is not on the list of fire retardant plants, however it is not on the list of highly flammable plants either. It is evergreen and I would say that it is a neutral plant as far as fires go.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Now this is probably a great candidate for my garden too! I love blue flowers and really like the fact that it's a California native. Do you find it to be invasive at all?

Cindy

Unknown said...

Hi Sheila, I have 2 Ceanothus at the end of our driveway (one on each side) and I won't even check the mail when they are blooming because the bees are so thick you can hear them a mile away. Just me I guess such a wus. Lucky I have Mr. Bob to get the mail. LOL They are beautiful though!

Gail said...

I have long admired this plant...knowing it will never be in my gardens...but that is the joy of visiting blogger's garden! gail

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

That is a wonderful plant! I have seen the shrub variety and have always wanted one. I have lilacs that just don't thrive here. It is very hot and dry here in the summer! I would love a low growing groundcover variety!