Monday, March 23, 2009

Seen Better Days

This arbor was one of the first structural things I put in the Laguna garden about thirteen years ago. It was a pre-assembled one from Home Depot and I painted it black. I attached metal spikes to it so it would be stable in the ground. Over the years it has had many different vines on it. It started out with a lovely blue 'snail vine' (vigna caracalla) which was overpowered by a red trumpet vine (campsis) that somehow migrated from the front wall. I had to take out the trumpet vine before it took over the entire garden. Then it had morning glories that nearly swallowed it up. The past few years it has been the support for a beautiful white 'Avalanche' clematis and star jasmine. It is beyond repair and will have to be scrapped, but I do love the feeling of "entering the garden" that it brings to this area. I'm sure another one will take its place.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, that is a little sad, but what wonderful memories of vines on it!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I love an arbor entrance. even though this one has to go, it seems it has given you many years of pleasure.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sheila I hope you can find another arbor to fill in for this one .. it is such a wonderful way to wander into a garden through something like this .. totally covered in some beautiful plants : ) It served you well girl !

Gail said...

I've always thought an arbor entrance was the best way to enter a garden... this one made a fine entrance to your garden~~It had a good life! Aren't those early years in a garden so dear! gail

Corner Gardener Sue said...

The arbor did serve you well. I wish I had room for a trumpet vine. I love them!

I hope you find a replacement you like as well.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, definitely replace it. It's the perfect spot for an arbor. I'll have to remember that about the trumpet vine taking over since I was considering planting one on mine. A star jasmine would smell heavenly.